Friday 29 July 2011

Seven Deadly & Seven Caring Habits

The two students mentioned in my last post arrived unannounced in our room earlier this week. We had been provided no details of the problem they had experienced and no intended outcome for their placement with us.

We didn't have time to speak with them straight away - they arrived during our daily administration time, so I set them to work on a task that I dreamed up on the spot.

They had to work together to create two PowerPoint presentations. One will be called "The Seven Deadly Habits" and one will be called "The Seven Caring Habits." You must find out what all of these habits are. Google them, but when you do your search, include the word "Glasser."

Each presentation must have a title page and one page relating to each habit. You can use pictures, sound files, animations or links to related web pages. When you are finished. I will come across and run you through your presentations, describing why they are important to us.

About forty five minutes later, a little voice said "We're finished."

I went across and did as I promised, playing their presentations for them and guiding a discussion of the deadly and caring habits. I'm going to put their presentations onto the computer in our school foyer, which plays student work samples and school promotional pieces all day long.

W - What did I want?
To give the new arrivals a time filling but relevant task to complete until we finished our daily administrivia.

D - What did you do?
Outlined above.

E - Did it work?
Yes. We received two quality presentations that we will be able to use within the school.

P - What learning will I take away from this?
Setting a simple task with few limits can provide students with the opportunity to demonstrate their creativity and technological skill. I will use tasks like this in future either before starting a unit of work, or at the end of one.

No comments:

Post a Comment